Detecting and Preventing Residential Water Damage in Wayne
SERVPRO Water Removal Services for Wayne Homes
Disasters can happen anywhere and anytime, especially when it comes to water damage. Whether pipe fittings give out, plumbing leaks, or appliance supply lines loosen, this excess moisture can quickly welcome moisture and microbes into walls, floors, baseboards, and home contents. However, fast action and detection strategies can minimize these disasters' impact on Wayne properties.
SERVPRO water restoration technicians save Wayne properties with Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) training, state-of-the-art tools, and around-the-clock availability. These factors help homeowners see faster relief from disaster, and more comprehensive repairs, reducing overall costs.
Reducing Damage to Wayne Properties with Water Detection and Prevention
While disasters caused by plumbing and fixture failures are nearly inevitable for most homeowners, the factors that can exacerbate them can be minimized with preparation, inspection, and detection equipment.
- Home water alarms are invaluable for detecting moisture near vulnerable areas.
- Annual or semi-annual inspections of fixtures can detect vulnerabilities before a disaster occurs.
- Make sure basement sump pumps are operational.
- Draining water heaters at least once or twice a year, and replacing them if they are over eight years old, can go a long way toward minimizing appliance failure.
- Know where the home’s water main shutoff is for when disasters occur to reduce the impact of moisture.
Some signs of damage already existing on the property include unusually high water bills, changes in water pressure, stained or soft drywall, and musty odors that may indicate the presence of mold. When these disasters do strike, contact insurers and licensed restoration professionals as soon as possible to remediate damage and keep the property safe and structurally sound.
Restoring Water Damaged Property with SERVPRO Tools and Techniques
SERVPRO water removal tools mitigate moisture through extraction, air movement, and dehumidification. Moisture extraction with portable or truck-mounted units ensures minimal water remains for air movers and dehumidifiers to counteract, significantly accelerating the drying process.
Other restoration tools in SERVPRO’s distinctive green emergency response vehicles include:
- Inspection tools like penetrating moisture meters for carpet and non-penetrating sensors for nonporous surfaces and drywall. Thermal imaging cameras are invaluable for finding moisture hidden behind walls, ceilings, and floors.
- Commercial-grade polyethylene sheeting establishes drying chambers and forces air into tight spaces with air movers. These chambers are especially useful for open floor plans, drying wet hardwood, and drying ceiling cavities and drop ceilings with minimal demolition.
- Floor cleanup services depend on the material, but carpet and pads are often salvageable with the help of hot water extractors and EPA-registered biocides. Careful extraction, tenting, and drying with air movers and dehumidifiers restore the carpet to a pre-disaster state before being reinstalled and re-seamed by SERVPRO professionals.
- Odor control tools, including ultra-low volume foggers, pump sprayers, and time-release malodor removal pellets, can combat unpleasant water odors and restore indoor air quality.
IICRC-Certified technicians can implement repairs and fresh paint, among other rebuilding services, to return the affected area to a pre-disaster state free of moisture damage, stains, and odors. Many disasters do not require extensive repair or replacement of structural materials. Still, when it is needed, SERVPRO can replace drywall, carpet, and other home essentials. Belongings are also sanitized, dried, and deodorized.
SERVPRO of Wayne is available around the clock to render mitigation that leaves properties looking and feeling "Like it never even happened." Call the team at (973) 546-4977 for restoration services.