The First Steps in Dealing with West Milford Fire Damage
West Milford Smoke and Fire Restoration
When a fire happens in your family home, there is a good chance you are in a state of shock. After ensuring everyone in residence is safe, you inevitably face the daunting task of cleaning up. A fire in your home is damaging, scary, and unfortunately common. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) estimates over 400,000 structural fires in the United States in 2018.
If you have fire damage in your West Milford home, you should first contact professionals. SERVPRO technicians can help you at all times, day and night. We're Faster to Any Size Disaster.
The damage from blazes and smoke can be extensive, requiring professional recovery services. While you wait for the SERVPRO Technicians to arrive at your residence, there are some things you can do and some things you should avoid. Some of these points are common sense, but you may not be thinking clearly after the trauma of a fire.
Things to Do
- Make sure everyone is safe, and remember, safety first. If it is not safe to re-enter the home, you should wait. Stay in contact with the fire marshall.
- Contact your insurance company.
- Keep hands clean to avoid more damage by spreading soot and residue.
- If there is no electricity, keep the fridge door closed. Stay out of the house. The lack of power may indicate an electrical hazard.
- Double layered cheesecloth over air registers to act as a makeshift filter.
- Protect the chrome around your residence by coating it with oil or petroleum jelly to protect unique, personal items.
Things to Avoid
- Do not walk around the home. Soot particles can embed into carpets.
- Do not attempt to clean surfaces, artwork, or electrical equipment without first talking to professionals.
- Do not eat any non-perishable food items if stored near the fire.
- Do not turn on ceiling fans in case of electrical damage or to circulate soot.
When the trained SERVPRO professionals arrive, they take over, assess the damage, create an estimate for the insurance adjuster, and begin work on your home. Restoration is better than replacement; we use our cutting-edge equipment and technology to restore your home to preloss condition whenever possible. We make it "Like it never even happened."
If a fire damages your house, contact SERVPRO of Wayne at (201) 464-8981 to ensure thorough home cleanup.